Rosco Acrylic Glazes - 5580 Clear Flat - Gallon
Used as a topcoat, Clear Flat and Gloss provide a tough durable finish to protect your painted scenery from incidental abuse from handling, scratches ad spills. Used on a stage floor, clear acrylic Glazes protect a paint treatment from basic wear and tear, as well as providing the desired finish; flat, gloss or a mixture of the two giving the scenic artist complete control over the depth of the finished paint treatment. Clear Acrylic does not provide the same protection as a urethane finish. If you need a super hard protective finish to protect against moving scenery and excessive abuses, use Clear Color Coat.
Added to paint, Rosco Glazes will increase the adhesion and flexibility of the mixture. Rosco Glazes are compatible with all Rosco Paints, and many other water based or latex paint formulations. (Always test for compatibility with an untried combination.)
- Finish: Flat
- Solvent: Water
- Binder Type: Vinyl acrylic
- Film Thickness: 1:1 Dilution=1 mil. Dry Film
- Coverage: 1:1 Dilution= proximately 600 sq. ft. per gallon.
- Clean-up: Soap and water.
- Shelf Life: Minimum 24 months.
- Dry Time: At 75° F (24° C.) Dries to the touch in 30 minutes. Can be re-coated in 1-2 hours. Clear Acrylic Glaze has a milky appearance when wet but will dry clear. Do not use heat or forced air to accelerate dry time as clouding may occur.
- When using a paint with weaker binder strength, such as a casein or tempura paint, adding 1-2 cups of Clear Glaze (flat or gloss based on the desired finish) will improve both the adhesion of these paints to non-porous surfaces, as well as making the finish more resistant to scratches and burnishing. Adding Clear Glaze to Iddings Deep Colors will make the paint finish more water resistant as well.
- Always dilute at least 1:1 with water. Failure to dilute Rosco Glazes may caused the medium to cloud over as it dries.
- Surfaces should be clean, dry and free from dirt and grease. If applying over a painted finish, always test before hand for compatibility. Allow paint treatment to dry 24 hours before top coating with Clear Acrylic Glazes.
- Stir contents before use.
- Do not shake. Apply by brush, roller, or spray gun. Apply in thin, uniform coats, using a good quality brush or roller. Use overlapping strokes, keeping a wet edge. Change roller direction often to avoid patterns and streaking.
- Do not apply a heavy coat. To build up a more durable finish, apply several thin coats, allowing each to dry thoroughly between applications. Failure to do so may cause the finish to cloud over while drying.
- When treating a back drop, use a hudson sprayer to apply a uniform, thin coating so the painted muslin will remain flexible.
Clear Flat Acrylic Glaze Safety Data Sheet.pdf